Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Making of the Daisy Blanket

July 1st, 2009
This is what I'm working on now. This is a 3D granny square, a BEAUTIFUL pattern by  Maggie Weldon (click here to see her website)  whose creations are all amazing. I don't think I am doing it much justice, but hey, Maggie, I'm trying!!!


I want to mention that when I had a question about the yarn that is in mentioned in the book, I contacted the Customer Service and they were INCREDIBLY helpful, kind, and really got out of their way to give me the substitutions and answered in a short amount of time. This IS customer service!!! I am very happy with Maggie's whole organization. Fantastic job!!!


The pattern calls for 35 squares, meaning 7x5 blanket, but I plan to make 40, so it's a bit bigger. This is going to be my niece's blanket for her room... when she's born, in January 2010. And I want it roomy!!!



Update: July 31st, 2009
Ok, I finished the Granny squares... I have to say... this is the most beautiful blanket, and I adore it. The design is beautiful and Maggie's costumer service is the best there ever was... but I am positively sure that I am not going to start another one until I learn to pace myself. 

I love to crochet, even though I have been doing it for less than a year and I have only completed two afghans. But I am hooked, especially when it's a project made out of granny squares.  I love to have something to do all the time, even during down time, and I love the product... but I got so, so obsessed with this project, that sometimes it actually made me feel nauseous but I couldn't stop!  My mother said that I should let it rest for a while and start another project, but I couldn't do it because I was so eager to have the finished blanket!!. So, there I was, getting sicker and sicker, and more and more obsessed by the minute. My husband even blamed my insomnia to this obsession... and the reading of a book that I wanted to finish fast.
So, here's what I did, in photos: 

The center:

The granny square:
 

The beginning:
 

The middle:
 

The "almost" end:
  


Finally, the edging:
 

Alfredo really likes it, and I like it too...But guess who likes it the most?


 (Don't worry Megan, my niece is getting it nice and clean.
This was just to warm David a bit, and Luigi got in, too!)

Now, it looks like a granny square with a lot of little wholes everywhere, but this blanket is REALLY WARM. Really warm.

Well... what to do with all my free time, now that I'm not obsessing about a crocheted afghan? hmmm.... what about some toasty slippers for everyone's Christmas presents?


1 comment:

  1. Do u sell these? Crosbys99@yahoo.com I want one ut don't crochet and want a daisy blanket. Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete